Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A QUICK MONTECRISTO

I won't deny that I occasionally take on challenges when I am already swamped and really push myself. Whether it it's a smart choice or not is a different conversation altogether. I was down in Greenville visiting Halfway to Habana, the downtown cigar shop I frequent. Paolo, the owner, invited me to the VIP party for the opening of his new shop in Anderson, SC. He mentioned that the cigar of the evening would be Montecristo White and that Jim Colucci, VP of Altadis (owner of Montecristo and a slew of other well-known brands) would be in attendance. Blood started to rush through my head...my pulse was racing. The party was two weeks out, but I told Paolo that he would have a carved Montecristo White label for his party by then. Oh yeah, here goes the "dumb" part. Did I mention that I was also in the midst of planning my wedding which just so happened to be the same weekend of the party? Did I also forget to mention that one of the two weeks I had to complete the projects, I was going to be away at training in Louisiana for my "real job."

Luckily for me, I don't mind late nights working, though it takes a severe toll on my back. I also have a fiance (now wife) that supports me in my "second job." So off I went on the carving. Fortunately the Monecristo label is quite simple and with all of the recent work I've done, the time required to carve it would not make the deadline too impossible.


I really like how the Fleur de Lis turned out. The gold paint really makes it pop. I do have one question though...who's signature is that? And what does it stand for? Please let me know if you have any idea.

Not to ruin the story, but Jim cancelled his appearance last minute. All was not lost though. Apparently it got some attention at the event, so I was able to help out a friend AND I have a new label to hang on my wall. That bring my collection to 8 labels.

No comments: