Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Nat Sherman

After resolving my color issues, I was finally able to finish this beauty. This is probably the most ambitious label I've taken on since the Opus X label (a well needed break since then).

Not that other carvings haven't been difficult or painstaking. They definitely were! However, this label contained some more intricate parts, mainly the center portion with the "cigar store Indians" as well as the vine-like portions on the arms of the label. I've never been good with the human body and proportions, but I was very happy with how the Indians turned out. The vine-like parts above and below the "New York" and "Fifth Avenue" placards were difficult to carve and paint due to the tightness of the design. There were a few parts that had to be carved deeper than they were wide. Anyone who has done carvings know that this is difficult. You lose the dexterity of your carving tools once you carve that deep.

Overall, I was very happy with the way this turned out. Just like the Opus X carving, I was afraid I was not going to do the Nat Sherman label justice. Luckily I was wrong, and maybe the Sherman's will agree when I get the carving up to their headquarters.

No comments: